View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQuest View Post
Actually, the pinging was just as bad or worse with the big cam.

So you can't blame the ping on my cam choice. I know you love to do that but it's not true. It's the compression, not the cam. The 703 install was enough to prove it.

The 400 came with the 72cc round ports when I bought it so it's high compression. Much like a 455 with the higher cc round ports like the guy here asking for help. No way in heck I would switch those heads for 6x heads like you advised. That would be a mistake in my opinion. You can keep circling around that point if you like. I would like to help the guy who started the thread if I may.
slow down there bud, i wasnt blaming the cam & i dont "love to do that"... i said that cliff & others, who know a lot more than me & apparently you too, said that the cam in this thread is too small for the compression of the engine. same applies to your cam selction, its too small for the compression of the engine. so yes, the compression may be the main cause of detonation but the right cam selection can FIX these detonation issues. maybe you should take your own advice & tear the engine down & not do quick fixes?

i also never advised the OP or anyone to swap to 6x heads, not sure where you got that from... however, swapping to 6x heads for a engine that has too much compression due to the e-heads & runs a very small cam with no need for max power or drag racing etc is a legitimate suggestion. with small cams like these, the e-heads are a waste & you gain nothing on the street compared to a good set of iron heads... especially if they will lower the compression & be a better match for the small cam.