View Single Post
Old 04-01-2023, 01:52 AM

I believe the resetting circuit breaker was used because the system was prone to exceeding the current draw limit and having to replace the fuse every time that happened would not be great for customer satisfaction. It's been a long while since I've had one trip. My current '79 now has an American Autowire harness and fuse block which uses all (blade) fuses and no circuit breaker.

I bought the relays to do what you're doing but I think I've changed my mind since I have all new wiring and a much more powerful alternator-plus I'll be cleaning and greasing the window tracks. If that doesn't get the speed where I like it I may yet do the relays.

Here's the schematic I was generally going to follow, in case you haven't seen it elsewhere. Note-it also recommends losing the circuit breaker in favor of a fuse. EDIT- I think I was considering just sending the pink ignition wire directly to the switch and eliminating the factory relay. The switch no longer has the full current draw running through it in this scenario-it's only triggering the the new relays who are then sending the full current to the motors.

EDIT 2
This schematic doesn't show it, but I would definitely install a 30 or 40A fuse in the line coming from the battery to the relay bank-as close to the battery as possible.

'79 T/A Solar Gold Metallic W72/WS6

'71 GT-37

Last edited by Hoodshaker; 04-01-2023 at 02:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoodshaker For This Useful Post: