View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Hi Calvin,
Great story.....I was 17 years old, fresh out of high school working a full time job at nights, sleeping and street racing with whatever time was left.
I am from the southwest side of Chicago and did a lot of street racing on Archer Avenue from about Cicero Avenue west to Harlem Avenue. Also use to travel down Harlem Avenue to what was later/now Duke's Drive-In near 87th.
Also got into some pretty wild street racing on the side street running between the factories on about 4500 South west of Pulaski Ave.
Never got to Strat's, but I did ride up to Skip's with an older guy before I could drive and saw somebody run a pass down North Avenue in a fuel dragster.
(Drop the rail, drive the trailer down to the big end. Fire the rail, a burn out and then the pass). Extremely loud pass and then into the trailer. The place was mobbed with cops about 15 minutes later......but it was well worth it....
I had a similiar situation like your Road Runner scuffle with an older guy in the neighborhood called Bobby. Short guy with a loud-mouth and a 68-69 Red convertible 427 4-spd Corvette. He always would boast how fast his car was until I got sick of it one day and told him to run his car, not his mouth. Later that day, from a 20 MPH roll, I handed him his ass.....

Last edited by GEARDRIVEN; 06-21-2016 at 07:43 PM.