View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 PM

Default No time like the present to start again

Among the many trials and tribulations on this 71 GP rebuild thought I'd share the story on the clock. My first GP was a 72 J Cardinal red, 400 auto with white top and interior. buckets, was nicely optioned, pwr windows, locks, seat am/fm stereo. It was my 2nd car ever and I was a senior in high school. It was an accident victim so I had to put on a new pass. fender and I painted that to match as best I could. looked decent and after a new lower control arm I was no longer wearing out that tire every week. Did the usual tweaks, carb rebuild, turbo mufflers and opened up the air cleaner housing and that car was beating my friends gto and some others at our local street races at 1 am next to the national gaurd armory. 2 years later or something like that I totalled the car. When the car was at the junkyard I pulled some pieces off,..the Qjet, battery(can't believe it survived since I flipped the car, put it in my girlfreinds Vega) stereo, pass sport mirror and the clock which was working. I saved the mirror and clock all this time since 1982. When building up my dash I got that clock out, (nice original condition)still in a 1984 newspaper wrap and cleaned and oiled what i could with synthetic watchmakers oil. It was still showing the time I wrecked the car, 2am. I installed it in my dash and did'nt power it up untill I had the car running and driving. It still works and is now well past 2 on the dial.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My_72_GP_01.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	530781   Click image for larger version

Name:	My_1rst_72GP_Clock.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	530782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deans_71GP_Dash_02.jpg
Views:	299