View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM actually was ahead of the game but didn't follow thru with it and kept them separate so the parking lights went out when the head lights came on. But the NTSB stepped in in 1968 and made them both on together mandatory. It was for safety reasons. Probably because of stories like below where stupidity reigned supreme.

Below is a true story and brings back some sad memories. I knew one of the guys involved. Only because I dated his sister. I had wanted to put this in that thread but thought it might not go over too well. Well I changed my mind tonight and hopefully more of you will do the conversion. And don't give me the excuse that it's they way it came from the factory BS. The NTSB changed that train of thought in '68.

A guy back up in Northern NY where I lived in the 70s died on a motorcycle because of a pre '68 car that didn't have the parking light on at night. He was riding to work at a paper mill for the midnight shift. His two buddies were supposed to get off work from the 4 o'clock shift at 11 but were late. They all rode their motorcycles to work every night during the summer months. The guy going to work didn't know they were late leaving work and at the same spot they met every night at the same time did what he always did. He'd meet the 2 and they'd split apart, then he'd pull into the left lane and ride between them, and pull back into his lane. Well he did it this night when he saw the two headlights approaching. His only problem was that is was a car not his 2 buddies. He hit head-on and went thru the windshield and out the back window. He didn't make it and died.

Now you know why I'm in favor of this conversion. Somewhere some place this could happen again, and probably has. Don't let it be you in the car without the parking lights on. I had my first GTO back then and wanted the parking lights on with the headlights but know didn't what was involved and how to do it. Hey, I didn't even know it was even possible to do. My thanks goes to Old Goat 67 for telling me what wire was involved. I only figured out how to get it done the easy way without ruining the wiring.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.