View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default NOS vs reproductions

I posted a version of this in a facebook group I recently joined only asking about batter y cables, and frankly I don't expect much of a response from it so I am re-posting it here with additional questions.

I don't have many NOS parts, but I will buy them if the price seems right (aka: I can afford it) or if the part is unavailable, or the currently offered reproduction/s is/are wrong.

A recent facebook discussion got me thinking about some correct stuff I want for my car;
The three thing that come to forefront of my mind are:
- battery cables
- spiral shocks
- weatherstrip

On the subject of battery cables;
I am seeing a disconnect between the OEM part numbers from my catalogue, and their cross reference versus some of the aftermarket replacements.

Has anyone in had opportunity to compare reproduction 'spring clip' cables versus the originals?

I have two MPC's for my car, the oldest one being dated November 1974;
for my negative cable it lists (grp 2.431) #8907535;
Application according to this catalogue is:
- 1970/8cyl; 22" long; bolt type*; no secondary lead; sup 6289160
- 1971-1972/6cyl; 22" long; no secondary lead
- 1971/8cyl; exc 455 eng- std - 22" long; sup 6289160
* = I am guessing this means that by November 1974 the part being sold for my car as an over the counter replacement was no longer a spring ring cable.

Unless I am mistaken, this is the one that everyone resells for my car:
https://www.lectriclimited.com/batte...y-cable-121259
it has the correct spring ring end, but has a wholly different part number (2982791)

I am not saying this supplier is wrong, but I have already found many items that are being sold as "correct" for my car, are actually a repop for another application, just being told as correct for me.
(probably the worst offender to date are reproduction air cleaner decals)

The positive cables, show that something is REALLY going askew (unless an early MPC might shed some more light on the subject);
MY MPC lists (grp 2.432) 6296738;
Application according to this book is:
- 1970/8cyl engine
(/\ that's all!)

but if we look at the site I linked on the negative cable, for positive cables, there are two cables listed;
#27640 = wo/RA
#35957 = w/RA
There is no real description, and one of them (35957) has a picture of a cable that has period correct looking shielding on it.
Now, for those who don't know the cables are routed different for RAIII/RAIV cars vs non non-Ram Air cars, but my MPC says they use the same cables.

On the subject of (spiral) shocks;
I might be the youngest member here to have pulled OE spiral shocks off my car;
I did it in either 1997, or 1998;
One was flat out broken - you could hold the thin end and by shaking your hand up and down, the shock would compress and decompress with no resistance;
The other shock wasn't much better;
Had twenty-year old me known better, I would have saved them to get them rebuilt at a later time, but I tossed them.
Are there any shocks that are bang on replacements, that are either:
1) not junk*
2) not priced redonkulously**

* = I have read time and again that repop spiral shocks are garbage.
** = I seem to recall reading of better shocks that (at least my recollection from that time was that they) were prohibitively priced.

My two go-to's are Ames and CI;
CI doesn't list spiral shocks for my car;
Ames lists them but does not reccomend them for cars that are "driven frequently"(!?)

On the subject of weatherstrip;
I found a guy in my state who may have NOS stuff, but it won't be cheap;
Am I correct in recalling that none of the readily available stuff is any good?
(there is one member here whom I spoke to about this, and he seems to be of the mind that NOS is inarguably the best, and that alone makes me incline to spend quite probably more money that I would otherwise be comfortable spending on this stuff.)

I'd earnestly love to hear from any members here who might have some insight to share with me.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)