View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
I'll try to help with the Battery Cable questions.
Again, I want to thank you for a wholly different perspective on this than I had previously.

The other info about introduction of side terminal batteries, and how this plays into it, is nothing I have come across before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

A search at GMPartsWiki shows that a ton of 297xxxx and 298xxxx p/ns were discontinued circa '73-'74 along with a ton of 628xxxx and 629xxxx p/ns at the same time.

I did not find 6289160 or 6296738 in that list of supersedures.

A 1970 or maybe 1971 MPC might list the OE Battery Cable p/ns for your '70.

If you can find the OE p/ns you might have some luck speaking to Lectric Limited. They apparently have original engineering drawings and can duplicate the wires/cables from them.

I spoke to them when I was chasing down the dual horn wire for my '64 GTO. As I recall, there was a revision that changed the length of the wire during production and I could decide how long I wanted them to make it (early or late length).

If you can find the p/ns they may be able to pull up the drawing and see what it shows and whether they can duplicate it.
Another person, who seemed quite confrontational on facebook just this past week also lightly touched on this by talking about continually superceded part numbers.

I just found in my assembly manual the following:

positive V8:
L30/L65/L78: 8901092
L74/L67: 8901076

Negative V8:
all: 2982791

So that one pictured on the Lectric website as the negative cable is in fact the correct one!!?
And just like their site (and not my 1974 MPC suggests) there WAS two different positive cables!!

Wow!

Now to just figure out other stuff like correct/OE shocks, a correct oil pressure sender, and many other details of minutia that I am sure most people don't concern themselves with... but again, I have time on my side right now.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)