View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default part 52 gettin the hang of it

when we left off at my 1st race behind the wheel, i was experiencing a very traumatic situation. well i'm happy to report to you that i survived that ordeal & lived to race another day. in a dirt racer there is absolutely no substitute for seat time. as i got more & more laps under my belt, i began to gain more & more control of the car, & i soon won my first trophy dash, & then a heat race & finally even the main feature. except for the nites somebody plowed into me on purpose & ended my nite,it was all great fun. my favorite way to describe it is " it's a barrel 'o monkeys ". well the biggest race of the year at the track i ran most, was a 2 day affair. they had qualifying on fri nite, which involved each car makin a timed lap. for this big race, i talked mb into driving for me 'cause he had more experience. he agreed, so we set about qualifying. We got hot laps first, so he had a chance to get a feel of the car. He said it felt good to him, so we didn't change a thing. He went out for his lap and it looked good. I could see he was taking it deeper into the turn than I did. And low and behold it qualified no. 2. That means he would start on the front row in Sat's feature. Everything was looking good. Then we made a big mistake. As you make more laps heat builds up in the tires and that increases air pressure. So we reasoned that if we started off with slightyly less air pressure it would be just right during the later laps. It sounded reasonable but we had forgotten to factor in two small items. No. 1 - my car was much heavier than his bird, which would put more pressure on the righte rear in the turn and no. 2 - we didn't have a bead lock on the right rear, they weren't legal in our class. So, about the 2nd or 3rd lap before air pressure built up the right rear rolled right off the rim ending our night. Have you ever noticed, some days are just better than others?