View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 03:32 PM

Cdoggy81, I'll hang on to some samples of the unpainted Lucy Blue, clear coated Lucy Blue, and PPG BC/CC Lucy Blue over Cameo I'll give ya to take and compare with your car when you come over. That will give you more options and James won't need to ship you to ship a sample of the untouched Lucy Blue.

So it's been a year since I started the test. The samples were outside in direct sun area in the middle of my back yard 24/7 in S FL weather other than a couple days for a hurricane. I did not clean them during that time. When I went to determine some results today they looked really dirty and felt rough. After getting my reading glasses, I realized some over spray had drifted onto them from other projects. A bit of testing to try and clean them and I realized it was probably a black epoxy primer I use on Lab-14 parts since I could easily wash it off the Cameo and Lucy Blue unpainted welting but it took some clay bar action to remove it from the cleared and painted pieces.

The over spray didn't interfere with getting results though. I'm happy to say the Cameo and Lucy welting with no paint products did not appear to suffer from any undesirable effects like hardening/stiffening or fading. The pieces with clear coat, BC/CC, and Acrylic enamel with flex agent did not show any problems with chipping/peeling after being repeatedly flexed back and forth as well as twisted beyond what would be required to install the welting. This was done with the welting being in the sun when hot as well as after allowing to cool to ambient temp of 82. Our UV index today in the beginning of April is 9 out of 10, pretty much everything here suffers from UV damage much sooner than most of the country so to see the welting and paint hold up so well is impressive.

I'd thought I might see some differences in long term paint adhesion depending on whether the samples were shot bare or adhesion promoters were used and possibly whether different adhesion promoters held up better. So far they all seem the same. I'm going to try some low temp testing using my fridge and freezer next.

Here's some pics
In pic below from bottom up. Cameo with clear coat with partly cleaned off overspray, Cameo stock with overspray washed off, control piece of Cameo that was not out in sun, Lucy Blue with clear coat and over spray, Lucy Blue with over spray washed off, control piece ofLucy blue that was not out in sun.

Pic below shows how I could clean the over spray off the painted pieces with a bit of clay bar. Would have taken a long time to do them all nicely so I didn't bother since it didn't have any bearing on what I was testing.

In pics below you can see how much I bent and twisted each sample repeatedly. No cracking peeling or chipping occurred with any of the urethane's or acrylic enamel with flex agent..

So my findings from earlier testing continue to stand. Clean thoroughly with wax & grease removers. Rough up surface. Do not use any primers or sealers. Might as well use adhesion promoter. If you want the welting glossy like car body clear coat it. For more technical info on paint procedures look at my posts earlier in this thread. The most important finding today (to me at least) is the lack of UV damage on unpainted samples. This welting still gets my stamp of approval over any of the other brands I've used and is WELL worth the additional cost over other reproductions for looks, installation, paint-ability, etc. etc. Next I'll do some low and extremely low temp testing of some of the samples.