View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope so, will find out in a month or so...

Working on suspension stuff. Being in my nature to not leave well enough alone - I tried another approach on the rear sway bar. 2 basic styles are offered: the OEM bolt to the control arm which supposedly cause binding and the conventional style. The Trans Am style won't work due to space constraints.

A few months ago I help swap out the stock V8 front bar from a 68 Firebird and got the old one - it is 11/16" Ø. I shortened it to 32 inches overall, cutting off the "arms". When the frame was sandblasted I welded on a pair of ears to the rear cross member in case I decided to follow this thru.

I plasmaed a pair of arms from some 3/8" stock (next time will simply by bar stock!) and machined them to match.

Two holes, one 11/16" for the bar and the other 3/8" were drilled/machined in. Arms were tacked into place then full boogey with the Heliarc.

I hope it holds and does not break. Years ago I did something similar with my 66 442 as the bar I wanted to run was too wide - I simply cut a chunk out of a TA front bar, used some tubing and welded it back up - ten years no breakage. Something to be said for being an apprentice tinner and not knowing it won't work...

Front bars got some love too - the rear passenger hole stripped out before I started this. I bought some nutserts and a tool to install them. Nutserts are like pop-rivets but form inner threads. I had to drill and taper ream a 0.530 hole for this to work - not exactly something laying about. The tool could use some refinement ie. a washer welded in for overhead work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear sway sides.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	534493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear sway bar.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	534494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nutsert tool.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	534495  

Last edited by Scarebird; 03-14-2020 at 11:03 PM.