View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to make some suggestions regarding your decals for your
consideration. I had NOS stripes and decals on my car back in the 70's, before
the repro decals came out. They never looked good for two reasons. First of
all, they were not consistent in the stripe width from one stripe section to the next, so there was a horrible mismatch between the ends of the door stripes and the ends of the quarter and front fender stripes where they met the door stripe.
Second, the stripes were printed on white tape, so if you had the red black yellow
or red blue yellow stripes, the edge of the stripe was white, and after a couple of years the white edge would get wider due to color wearing off just from wiping
the car down or polishing or waxing it, then the edge would look hideous.
When I restored my car in 1990, I bought some stripes from Phoenix Graphix and they had the same problem with mismatch and white tape edge as the original stripes. I was disappointed, but I put them on. Fast forward to 2002,
when I repainted the car again with a better paint job in urethane instead of lacquer. Just as I was about done with the repaint, I went to a Pontiac show and spied a 69 Judge with the most beautiful stripes I had ever seen. They
had no white edge and the width of the three colors were perfectly consistent
all the way down the sides of the car. I investigated further by talking to the owner of the car and he told me that the stripes came from YEAR ONE and were made for them by Dale's Cuda Shop, a Mopar stripe supplier that YEAR
ONE used to source their Judge decals. I learned that the edges were not white
because Dale's printed the stripes on yellow tape, not white. The colors on these
stripes are also thicker and don't wear off like the original stripes. I've had these
decals on my car for 17 years and they are still gorgeous. I don't know if you can
still buy these stripes made by Dale's Cuda shop, but if you can you should consider buying a set. Over the years guys with 69 Judges have seen my stripes
and gone nuts over how much better they looked than theirs. You might want to see if these awesome decals are still being produced. Also, one tip on the
front fender Judge decals...the center of these decals up and down should line up with the center line of the grills on the front end, and the leading edge of the Judge decals should line up with the front end of the fender stripe. Also use a level to make sure these Judge decals on the fenders are perfectly horizontal.The Judge decal on the spoiler should be in the middle of the spoiler front to back and should be centered side to side with the die cast GTO emblem on the trunk lid. Some pics of the Dale's Cuda Shop stripes.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	522798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	522799