View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I understand the early OHC-6 engines had more than their share of problems, and the dealer service departments did not understand them yet. So even if you had a good local dealer (seems that the author did not) good luck in 65 or 66/67 in getting a major issue with the engine resolved.
I am not old enough to have owned one new, they were at least 8 years old when I started driving. But judging from my experience with different new car dealers service departments I can tell you that a bad service department can make you hate a reasonably reliable car or truck. My 2012 Ford F-150 is an example, had 1 problem with it under warranty and the dealer I bought it from tried repeatedly to not warranty the issue.
Compare that with my 1997 Dodge Ram, it had at least 5 major issues under warranty, the dealer went above and beyond every time to make it right. Funny how I don't have bad memories about the Ram, and it spent almost as much time in the service department as it did on the road for the year.
You combine a car that is somewhat of a Lemon (all companies have them) and a bad and unresponsive service department. Along with a Young owner that probably does abuse a car more than most drivers, and has not learned how to deal with stubborn people. Add 50 years to the tale, and you probably get exactly what I just read.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)