View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 04:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
You know, my customer started this post in the street section because they thought it would be nice to show this build as it progresses. It is for a street car, but seems it has turned into a pissing match about when to shift a 455 in a drag race scenario. WHO CARES! That is not what this thread was started for. If it was, it would be in the race section.

BTW Dragncar, 68AZbirds 455 heads do actually only flow in the mid 220's. They are #16 D-ports. I know because I did the valve job and flow tested every port. Also his car does not have a roller cam in it. It has a Harold Brookshire flat tappet cam in it. It also has dished pistons and is 9:1 and a true street car. I've personally seen it run 11.60's in the dead of summer in Phoenix with pump gas and boiling the fuel to the point where it only had about 1-2 PSI of fuel pressure at the end of the track. It's run 11.40 with a little better air, but Phoenix never really has great air, and Tucson is even way worse as our track is at 3075 feet, and our air quality is usually in the 5000-7000 foot range.
Paul, I do not doubt anything you say. Ever. I don't think 68AZbirds is pulling my leg either. Its not like my 455 lays down past 5500, it still pulls, RPMs still climb. But it ETs best when shifted short.
See, Dan told me where to shift it but I did not think shifting so low was cool. I let it rev to 6200 or higher. Then one day I red lit and just got pissed and clicked it into 2nd, then 3rd like bang,bang and ran it out with my foot to the floor. Best ET ever.
I just built on that. And this was when the valve springs were well past their prime. If I shift at the right point the car jumps and you see it when you get your slip. Let it shift too high and the shift is kinda soft. And you would think RPMs= rear tire speed. Just does not work out for me.
Its not like I do not think with the right cam as cast iron heads can not pull past 6K. Super Stock guys do it. But they go through a lot of cams finding the right one and keep the info close.
I think a lot of your work, your posts. My thoughts on this are out there on this but I will lay off it in this thread. OP has a point. I want to see how this 455 HO with your works ends up.
BTW, my heads need rebuilt. I would like to see that your valve job and Dans port work do on the bench. Never flowed them. Last time I had the intake off you could see oil on top of the intake valves pooling. The ex side needs milled again. Need spray welded and no one does it here I know of.
Not to many guys left I would trust with my heads.