View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some other details.

The pistons were originally set up too tight in the bore at .003". They called for .004 to .0045". So Paul honed the cylinders with a torque plate and found the previous shop never machined the block with a torque plate. As soon as Paul touched the bores there were places throughout all the bores that the hone didn't even touch, they were way out of round. Luckily honing to the proper size of .001 to .0015" took care of it. Dodged a bullet there otherwise it would have been an overbore and new piston time.

The block wasn't decked properly either. Can't remember if Paul said it was lopsided or which ever way??? but it required a fair amount of material off to correct.

The rods were also a mess. The big end was honed .001" too tight and the small end was setup too tight and started scoring the pins. Luckily caught that early, Paul polished the pins and was good to go. Also found the rod bolts were 1/4" too long and wouldn't stretch properly when torqued. So Paul resized the rods to the proper dimensions with new bolts, and honed the small end for proper clearance for the power level we are expecting.

The heads needed all new guides as Paul found they had .004" clearance. With the cheap umbrella seals this thing had it would have been an oil sucker.
Now has all new guides and valves, positive seals, and I think you know the rest as I believe I talked about the heads and the flow numbers Paul picked up with his valve job previously.

This thing will rock the dyno soon. Thanks to Paul for all his attention to the details.