View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In all honesty there’s about 10 things that need to be tended to when putting these things back together.
I’ll try and go over them here in a bit. First let me say that it’s no new news that most parts do not come from here anymore. So that said we have to make due with what we have to work with.

Starting with these cap harnesses. I’ve got 8 delco replacements left from about 20 years ago and bar none those were the best you could get. Alas they don’t sell them anymore. Napa was the go to when I needed something other than Delco. They’ve changed them up a bit also. And all of them have jumped in price from the 14.00 they used to be to close to 36-37.00 now. The ones they ship these off shore distributors with are ALL a total hot pile of...

The modules in these things are and have always been pretty tough. If things are normal or close to it it really takes a lot to kill one. There are however a few things that will wreck one in a hurry and I believe the ic chip they put in most these days isn’t very robust compared to the older ones. At least I think the newer ones are more susceptible to voltage spikes and such than they used to be.

With a good thermal compound under the module, that’s as good as that gets, let’s move on out and work our way up. I’ll adress a few things along the way as we go. I may have to check in and out a few times today as I’m needing to get going here. The harnesses used to be virtually bombproof. Especially the terminals. They were built from Delco and even the better quality ones from Napa, very well. Specifically the spade slide terminals. They retained their springiness very well. The current ones you have to watch a lot these days. Not sure what metal they’re made of but I think they’re plated brass and the originals were much thicker, probably allowing for the springiness they had. If they don’t hold tight to the coil blade connections they will build her due to the extra resistance from being loose. This is not goid and the first path of problems to look for. That connection has to be tight and stay that way.