View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMang View Post
How do you wire it if you are using the stock 4-pin hei module? I was hoping that I could trigger it off the module because i do not want to remove it. Does the 4 pin module need power to it or just the trigger wire from the 6al? Thanks, I've been trying to find this answer everywhere.
You COULD trigger the MSD using the 4-pin module.

Don't do that. There's no point to it, you're adding a bunch of circuitry into the system that doesn't need to be there.

Leave the module in place but electrically disconnected, for when the MSD dies. BYPASS the module using the harness supplied with the MSD spark-box. Trigger the MSD directly from the pickup coil.

When the MSD fails, you remove the distributor cap, remove the MSD harness, plug the pickup coil back into the module, and drive away using the HEI ignition instead of the MSD spark-box.

The instructions are supplied with the MSD box, and they used to be downloadable from the MSD web site. Probably still are.

The 5- 7- and 8-pin modules are kept in the system when adding an MSD spark-box, because of their electronic timing features--either electronic retard, or computer-controlled timing. The spark-box takes the timing signal from the module, but works it's voodoo on it to trigger the coil. Since the 4-pin module doesn't do any deliberate spark timing adjustment, there's no reason to keep it in the system.