View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
^^This.
Many think that all the 64-67 rears were narrower than the 68-72, (BOP 8.2), but this is not the case. Only the 64-65. Also, it has been said many times that there is an early 66 rear that is narrower than the late 66. All the 66 rears that I've seen from Pontiac A-bodies were same width as 67-72. Seems like Pontiac would have documented any part number changes during the 66 model year if that were the case.
All I can relate Singleton is if you pulled enough original '66 Pontiac 8.2 axles, you would have run across a few factory installed early '66 rears of the shorter variety. After jacking up the frame of A-body yard cars, I've always shined a flashlight at the center housing as well as up between the brake backing plate & the lower control arm perch. Only one finger would fit, bingo, early style A-body rear. Two fingers fit, a wider style. Years ago, I actually pulled several '66 3.55 coded STT rears out of two country yards, all were bought cheap as the axles were missing. Yard owner or worker had prev pulled & sold the axles out of them. No problem as in stock I had a fair supply of nice original axles, cked #1 condition, with new studs w RW507C's installed.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 09-23-2021 at 09:25 PM.