View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21
Cool Stuff to consider on the '98-'02 F-Body.

The Monkey,

On a '98-'02 F-Body, one thing to check is the brakes. If there is a pulsating, the rotors may need to be replaced. Heard the aftermarket with the slotted rotors are the best choice, since these have a tendency to heat-up fast. Second, if it had a 4L60E, it would need a rebuild, since these trannys aren't up to par. Check the PCV Valve (a black plate on top of the 3800 Series II intake. Make sure it doesn't smell of gas. If it does, the fuel pressure regulator may need to be replace. Another thing to check is if it starts up fast. If there is too much of a delay, the fuel pressure regulator will need to be replaced. Also, make sure it doesn't smell too much of gas when you first start the car. Another indicator the fuel pressure regulator if it is bad. Something else to check are the dash lights. The Firebirds have an "Airbag Inop" light if something is tampered. If the "Security" light is on, something with the stereo or the VATS. Check the undercarriage for rust & that the body isn't too twisted. Driving one of the '98-'02 F-Bodies, you may find a thump from the back once in a while. It is just the spare tire and jack. The fuses for the injectors, and any major components of the computer system of the car are under the hood on the driver side. They should be labeled. If not, then write to me PM. Have owned both an '00 Camaro and an '02 Firebird (as well as test driving three other F-Bodies from '98 to '01). If the car throws too much smog, may be that the car has a bad catalytic converter (the '00 Camaro had one that went out at 56K miles). Think of it, the '00 Camaro was a GM Certified car, but ended up having so many problems. Was on the process of selling it, but before I could, the car was totaled. So I ended up with an '02 Firebird, and so far, so good. Couple of other things on the F-bodies: paint will fade (on the '02 Firebird, already have some spots with peeling paint on the front nose, and the roof with fading paint), and check to make sure the headlamp motor is in working condition. You will know if the headlamp motor is broken when the headlamps are off, but the door flaps don't go down. Something to consider. Let me know if I can help out more.

Steve

P.S. On the fuses, if that car doesn't have them labeled, I can take digital pics and show where they are.