View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

granted, i skimmed over most of the posts, but it reads as though most are more or less in line with my thoughts;

1) wow - a 16yo with a Firehawk - I could have only been so lucky.

2) granted it's not the most powerful car out there, but would you trust her with it.

3) I agree that limiting the number of passengers is a really good idea; unless someone is willing to sit on the "hump" (and I did many times in high school) she will be limited to three passengers.

4) I don't think this comes down to perception of reliability, becuase if you fix it, and maintain it, it will be just as reliable as you want it to be.

5) I am now of the mindset that something that can take some abuse, and/or something with less power is a good move for a first time driver.

Some other great first cars in my opinion:
- 85-91 Grand Am (coupe or sedan; if you find one with a 2.5L they are generally under 100hp!)
- 89(?)-94 Cavalier/Sunbird (any engine)
- 95-04 Cavalier/Sunfire (any engine)
- 04-10 Cobalt/G5 2.2L (they're actually fine cars, in spite of the perception from recalls)

I would definitely expect her to do some (unintended) damage to the car, so as cool as a Firehawk might seem, unless you really know your daughter, I'd maybe consider passing.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)