View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Not wanting to cause any drama- I think we’ve all made it clear what our favorite makes are and why.

Yes- a corolla or civic is the smart, boring choice. I don’t really have to worry about rust where I am at on anything less than 30 yrs old. If there is rust you just go find another one that doesn’t have it.

I would feel like crap if my daughter had to drive something she hated when I have a garage full of fun cars I’m not going to let her drive. I’m not saying that it needs to be nice, expensive, fast or luxurious- I just want her to like it.

I’ve taken a few really good point from this conversation-

Make the kid pay at least half of the insurance so they have investment

Involve the kid in any fixing up, cleaning up so they appreciate and care for the vehicle.

Involve the kid in the selection- no use in going through all this if she isn’t going to like it.

I still think it would be an awesome first car (you would be sick at the vehicles in the school parking lot- SRT8’s, new mustangs, bmw’s, New trucks, SUV’s, etc)... but I need to know if she feels that way
Personaly, I'd never put a new driver in a dinky entry level 10-15 year old small front wheel drive car. Have always thought it better to have something of more substantial size that is safer while being dependable. Two of my friends are medical appliance reps, set in on orthopedic surgeries. Both of them have seen many folks with major feet, knee, hip, back, and neck issues. quite a few of those lower extremitie injuries were the results of automobile wrecks. For several years I got a smile out of what vehicles both of these men w large familys put their newly minted teenage drivers in; late 90's 2wd Suburbans at one house. The other bought 6.0 Excursions, a 6.0 3/4 ton 4WD van, a 7.3 & a 6.0 3/4 ton 4 door pickup. Both fellows had their favorite mechanic shops & spent heavily. Used to joke with the latter one, he could use two big diesel tanks to be refilled every month. though i drive a 3/4 ton diesel, he didnt think itnwas amusing. Also wouldnt give any credence to by limiting amt of friends in a car to just two that distractions are majorly reduced. The number one distraction with young drivers is their d@mn cell phones, ride in the back seat with three 16-30 year olds with their phones. It really doesn't matter how mature they are, or if they didn't get their license till 18, nearly everyone of them is mentally connected to their phones.