View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 10:43 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutx2 View Post
Oil leak just started, anti freeze leak probably not far behind, so replacing intake gaskets on my 1999 3.1. Should I expect the intake to be warped and need machining? Machine shop says have it planed, but I haven't read of this being a usual issue. Any input appreciated.
Manifold should not be warped so machining not necessary. I suggest you buy the gasket kit GM sells. It comes with the correct gaskets and all the bolts which already have the correct thread locker applied to their threads. Tighten the bolts to the correct torque. Do not overtighten them. If you don’t want to buy the kit from GM, then you need to throughly clean the threads on your old bolts and apply the correct threadlocker to them.

One more very important thing. When reinstalling the push rods and rockers do NOT use an impact gun or air ratchet to tighten the nuts on the rocker stud. Only use a torque wrench. Over tightening the nut CAN cause the pressed in stud to loosen in the head. You won’t even know it until sometime later when you start hearing a ticking type sound. You’ll trace the sound to a loose rocker. You’ll replace the stud and then later on another stud will come loose. And you’ll keep doing this until all the overtightened (loosened) studs have been replaced. The difference between tightening to the correct torque and overtightening to start loosening the stud isn’t much. Trust me many dealer technicians have found this out the hard way.

Last edited by 1969GiPper; 04-08-2018 at 11:04 AM.