View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another couple tid-bits on EGO

The boxes are not tape sealed at factory. That means you can open the box and inspect the battery to see if it has the fuel gauge, without creating a conflict with a salesperson for "breaking the seal".

The 14" and 16" saws are the exact same saw assembly, other than the 16" is 2 inches longer AND it comes with the 5Ah battery vs. 2.5Ah on the 14".
Unless you "need" to have the 14" - the 16" is a little better value for $50 more to get the 5Ah battery. It also weighs about 2 pounds more than the 14" (some of that will be due to bigger battery weight - and the rest for the longer bar/chain)

I really like the chain adjustment mechanism.
The big knob un-tightens/tightens the bar
Then a separate "star wheel" located above the big knob - dials the bar tighter or looser.

The 18" is a different saw all by itself, and the chain adj mechanism is different too.
It is rated at 11,000rpm - where the 14/16 is rated 6800rpm
Those are the motor shaft speed, not chain speed.
I might go play with one in the store - or bring one home and play with it.
But it's unlikely i will trade-in the Big Kobalt 80V for it.
Got way too good of a deal on the Kobalt and i doubt they would haggle down to that price zone on the 18" EGO - it is $350.
14" = $250
16" = $300

For whatever reason - Lowes doesn't offer the 16", only 14 and 18.
Home Depot seems to offer the 16
Don't forget about 10% Coupons on eBay for Lowes and Home Depot if you don't have direct access to any of them.
Some of them are only usable In-Store , so pay attention to that.