View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, the muffler configuration on the factory A-bodies I've dealt with have always been offset/offset. That keeps the head pipes closer to the center of the car so they can somewhat tuck up into the trans tunnel for clearance, and it keeps the tailpipes moved to the outside so they clear the upper control arms.

Any time I've tried installing an offset/center muffler configuration I've had to rebend the headpipes to tilt the mufflers to the outside of the car, so the tailpipes would clear the upper control arms. A factory style hanger will also want to have the muffler over in this position.

This is likely why almost all of your exhaust kits are designed like OEM with an offset/offset muffler in mind.

Like 78W72 mentioned, the good flowing mufflers on the market don't have bends inside, they are a straight through design. If you use a chamber style muffler like the Hooker, it doesn't really matter if you use a center/center configuration, with the sound chambers inside the air flow is going all over the place anyway. Give's them a unique sound but they generally restrict a bit compared to the straight through design like Dynomax, Pypes, etc...

I agree I don't like the sound of the Pypes race pro's. I've switched a couple over to the street Pro's and was much happier with it. But my go to muffler of choice are the Dynomax Ultraflows.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE