View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker455 View Post
Jeff,
Lets see your coolant routing.
Anything on the ground besides over flow bottle?
Sure looks like oil mixed in that tube.
I see a lot of hose clamps on over flow tube maybe obstructing the cap from fully seating Also maybe the cap is no good.
I like to fill the engine right down the thermostat housing then install the stat with a hole drilled in the side and finish top off.
then I slowly rev motor so it will draw the coolant down and top it off before letting off the throttle
Jeff
I've tried 2 different radiator caps (18lbs & 16lbs) thinking that the original was bad & got the same results. Caps are seating properly.
The tube is just old & dirty. Antifreeze & water is the only thing in the system.
Oil level is remaining constant.
There is no thermostat. It was the first thing I pulled when it started overheating.
I top it off the same way.

The only thing about the cooling system that is "different", is that there is a hose from one head to the other on the rear with a tee going to the heater core.

There is good water flow & the engine stays cool until it runs out of water. Since there are no external leaks on the engine or hoses & radiator caps are good, the only thing that I can think of that would "push" out all of the water would be compression entering the cooling system pressurizing it.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017