View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default This couldnt have taken any longer if I tried.

My HEI is a tad misshapen.

(picture courtesy of Distributor Guy)

This means another housing needs to be sent to said Distributor Guy ASAP. Not sure what happened, but it happened well before I got my hands on it. Its been like that since '97 and has been through 3 major engine iterations. Im sure its fine, but with other housings now standing by, its probably prudent to replace.

Of the 3 available, I'm going with this '77 unit out of a YU coded 400. (Thanks Wallace Racing Distributor page!) Its the oldest of the bunch but its housing is in better shape and its the quickest to ready for paint. (I can't deal with the silver. Great for a resto, but not for me.)

Also sending these parts along, just in case my shaft is bent. They cleaned up nice with a brass wire brush.

This is better!

It'll all be happily on its way on Monday along with some center cams.

Performing a leakdown test on the engine tomorrow just to give me something to do while its down. Hopefully this will guide me to which cylinder(s) are allowing the engine to smoke. I'm still going on the notion the rings haven't seated, but at least I can see if the cylinders are consistent. I'll post those results when I have them figured out.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread