View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 12:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Short answer? Da-same. 325/50/15s on a 10" wheel.

Long answer? (here is where you can tell I'm lacking human contact)

Unfortunately, I fell in love with the Weld V Series wheel. What makes it unfortunate is they don't come in 1/2" backspacing increments, so it forces a choice of 4 or a 5" of BS. (different than the 4.5" I had prior) Bringing the wheel in 1/2" makes it much tighter than before, so I couldn't vary much beyond than the 325. Its rather "deflating" but I'll probably rub the exhaust with this setup.

Tires choice gets a bit more "sticky".

I knew the tires would remain Mickeys. Tried a few different brands over the years (Goodyear, M&H) and the soft sidewalls are a tad unsettling on the street. When I went with my current ET Street Radial 10 years ago, I was "hooked" (you saw that coming) as nothing has ever connected with the track better. Here's the rub(ber).

The Mickeys use a different bead than most tire brands. So much so, Weld uses a specific bead lock on their wheel for an M/T tire. So you gotta make a choice and you gotta make it right now - go with the MT bead lock, or never run Mickeys again? And my wife says I have a problem with commitment. Ha! This will show her!

In all honestly, I'd prefer the ET Street SS tire, mainly because its draws less law enforcement attention with its tread pattern, but of course Id have to give up some section width to stick with a 28" diameter. Not wanting to work "tirelessly" figuring out new ratios or constantly be worrying that a shorter tire wouldn't look right, OR giving up any section width, the ET Street R Radial was my only option.

Going to 5/8" studs with this too. Axles are already drilled. Just gotta pull them to get the 1/2" studs out. (5/8" studs go through the front)

Toying with the idea of going rear disk too. Rumor has it they only push the wheel out 1/8" from the drum setup.

Is all this overkill ? Hell yeah it is. Do I care? Not in the least. It's going to a be a "good year".

As I said, I get bored.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread