View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky 455 View Post
I need the electric fans for the AC and the fan is off my Firebird and is way too big for a shroud as it cuts into the underhood insulation now, do you think the water is travelling too fast to cool? i'm going to try a 180 deg. thermostat. The thing is, that was a really hot day, its not always that hot. I hear what your saying about the shroud etc. but I want to try the cheaper way out first.
Water traveling too fast to cool, or pickup heat is a complete myth. What actually happens when a restrictor is added is coolant is pressurized by the water pump to minimize steam pockets. Heat transfers at the speed of electricity, or electrons, no water pump is capable of moving coolant faster than that. By eliminating steam pockets the block and heads are going to be covered by liquid which transfers heat much better than steam and air does. Many times people that have added a restrictor and cured their cooling problem misinterpret why the added restrictor worked, hence the myth that coolant passed too fast through the radiator to reject heat myths continue.

Boiler scale, or electrolysis in any part of the cooling system can, and will impede heat transfer so scale inside of the block will tend to insulate the cast iron and slow transfer of heat to the coolant. The other thing is to have plenty of air going across the radiator, engine driven fans usually are more efficient at cooling the radiator.

Some type of restrictor be it a thermostat or a washer should be in the system to minimize steam pockets that will impede cooling. Pontiac engineers made pulleys to speed up the waterpump (more RPM) on HD and cars with A/C, so obviously they had no misgivings about coolant traveling too fast through the system to take on, or radiate heat during engine operation.

The HD cooling systems also held more coolant by having 4 core radiators, which also increased the cooling area of the radiator. Increasing the capacity of coolant in the system will also get a marginal system to work more efficiently.

After fighting to keep oval track Pontiacs cool, these are the things I have found that can cause, and cure overheating.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated