View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Valve Cover Leak

This started in my Oil Filter thread:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=840361

That thread morphed into my valve cover leak (both sides) so I decided to start a new thread focused on that.

Original GTO covers, they were rechromed.

I finally pulled the left side valve cover. It was not leaking quite as bad as the right side but decided to check it first. The bolts were snug at best. I was tempted to simply snug them but since I already purchased the Edelbrock 7590 composite 5/16" thick multi-layer gaskets, I pulled the cover. Existing black gasket seems to be very thin, 3/16" thick at best. Glued to the cover with black sealer. Scraped it all clean, wiped down with mineral spirits. Cover is now squeaky clean.

But now my dilemma. The bolt holes are dished. I have worked on them with a hammer and blocks of wood. I may have flattened them a hair. From the top, I can feel a slight dish although it is not visibly very obvious. The cover itself does not seem bowed at all, but using a straight edge, I get a gap between the bolt holes on both sides of the cover of about 0.025", less than 1/32". Uniform gap with the feeler gauge from bolt hole to bolt hole.

I can continue to work at the holes to try to flatten them. But I'm concerned that hammering the holes flat may do more damage than good.

The area around the hole is stiffened by the forming in that area, afraid that hammering on it will distort the rest of the flange.

Is it super critical to get the holes perfectly flat or am I close enough?