View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 11:29 AM
PY VIP

I also think that a short stroke crank is the only way to go on a turbo build. Turbos like a load and a short-stroke crank will allow cylinder pressure to build without the longer stroke's mechanical advantage working against that effect.

As we all know, there is such a thing as too much torque and by moving the horsepower peak up a bit, there is a chance to launch more efficiently and let the midrange and top-end power come in at a point where the chassis is much more effectively putting the power to the ground.

I remember watching Marty Palbykin's car run at Norwalk in 1996. The car didn't launch violently, but the mid-range acceleration was astonishing. As I recall, he ran 196 mph with the transmission shifting from first to third- something went wrong with second gear. He ran a 3.75-inch stroke and I really think that is the sweet spot for a high-boost application. From what I have seen, strokes above four inches are counter-productive for traction and I would suspect that they artificially hinder top-end power production.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."