View Single Post
Old 11-12-2023, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I started working on some of the external things I wanted to have on the new engine. As mentioned before, adding EGT sensors to all the exhaust ports so I can make individual cylinder adjustments or simply see if I have lost fuel or spark on a hole.

I put the CAN EGT box in a waterproof housing that will go on the driver's side fender.

As part of the new engine, I wanted better oil control and as previously posted, made a full length windage tray and set it up for an external oil pick up line to the oil pump, but still needed to actually finish the oil pan. So with an aftermarket universal oil pickup I modified the tube to exit the pan in the corner behind the starter but before the motor mount, in a place that I believe can fairly easily route the pickup line to the accessory drive housing. (my welding isn't the best..... but it should get the job done...)

Then for oil baffles, roughly copying the SRE pan in my Buick 455 with simple front and rear baffles with a slight angle to funnel oil to the center

I put a little lip on the edges like the stock baffle has.

The stock dipstick tube sits right over the new oil pickup tube, but seems to be okay with my 1/2" spacer in place. Since I was going to make a new dipstick to account for the 1/2" spacer, I'm going to extend the top of the tube up higher so I'm not reaching down around the turbo exhaust to check the oil. With that I'll add a handle with an o-ring seal and something to keep it positively seated.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)