View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 02:37 AM
Senior Chief

Back in the 70s I was running a '59, 389 in my 57 Chieftain, 2 door sedan and I pulled a rocker stud. I ended up with a kit that included a dedicated drill bit and an oversize stud. I used it and set the new stud with enclosed stud setter goop. Worked ok but I was always worried it would come loose again.
My latest build is a 57 block bored .125" to 370 cu in. I used 73-74 GTO [350] heads because they were like 96CCs, a good way to loose some compression from using old Jahns pop-up pistons. They also have hard valve seats, 7/16ths screw-in-studs [big block chevy pieces] and factory push rod guide plates. Had to grind a little from the bottoms of the valve retainers to clear the PC intake seals with a .90 valve lift Lunati cam. It all works great. I tapped and blocked the oil passage in the block deck...just a little insurance. I went with the reverse cooling block and front cover, made a pair of adapters under the '57 coolant elbows to direct coolant into the late heads. Mine uses a 59 manual bell housing, flywheel etc etc with a 11.75" clutch and a muncie M-21 4 speed. If your car only weighs 1800 lbs I wouldn't hesitate to use a saginaw 4 speed.
My stock '74 rockers oil just fine from the pushrods. I honestly don't remember what pushrods I used but I turned the engine by hand and watched the valves cycle....no weird angles or anything. I have about 10,000 miles on so far. I love it! Runs cool and strong.
Oh, and if you do score a 58-60 bell housing, be sure to get the manual trans starter too. It's shallower than the automatic starter. Mine is in my trusty old 34 ford coupe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34 5_20.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	546173