View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I am in the process of heavily researching a fan clutch for a custom application. (62 Catalina) I have found that if you Google Hayden Fan clutch catalog, you can download a 2010 catalog that is easy to print pages and compare specs and dimensions. That's the newest I could find that was easy to work with and print. There is about 15 pages of dimensions and performance info in that catalog. If you don't want to go into that much detail here are some generic specs. The fan clutches you mentioned will begin to clutch at approximately 170 degrees AIR temperature, which would be around 200-205 water temp. The HD 2747 clutch will spin at about 25-35% shaft speed disengaged and 70-90% shaft speed fully engaged. Designed to be used with a fan pitch less than 2". The severe duty 2797 clutch is deeper and heavier. Same engagement temp. 20-30% shaft speed disengaged, 80-90% engaged. Designed for fans with more pitch. Bottom line if you have room for the severe duty clutch without hitting the radiator, it will run a little faster hot and drive a more aggressive fan blade pitch. In either case, the engagement temp is too high for an old muscle car and the thermal spring can be modified to lower the engagement temp 15-20 degrees easily by carefully lifting the spring carefully from it's outer anchor point and twisting it clockwise and letting it rest against the outside of the stop. (not in the slot as OE). This makes them work much better in an old muscle car that you want to run around 180-185 degrees. Hope this helps.
Can you take a picture of that or describe in more detail? It sounds like you are saying you detach the outer anchor point and let it go where it goes?

Thanks, Tony