View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 12:46 PM

I had a 68 and 70 GTO, both modified, and my last project before the 72 was a 99 Vette that put down close to 500 at the rear wheels.
Maybe I am unfairly comparing it....

The 72 has nostalgia in spades, but i think my Subaru daily driver would be close in acceleration.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyhoe View Post
Not for nothing but my bone stock 71 scoots along great with the junk gas that is available. I cant imagine 66hp makes that much difference?

QUOTE=11th Indian;6156935]I always thought the 72 was cheap compared to the 68,69 and 70 because it’s a low compression engine and the performance is nothing to write home about. I felt I got a great deal on my completely numbers matching 72 because it was a bench seat – manual everything 3 speed stick with an open rear.. Maybe having the base 400 saved it from being beat up? The busy front end is also not a selling feature.

My plan was to keep all the stock parts and modify it to my specifications with some of the money I saved on the purchase price.
When I was shopping around for a GTO, I learned that no matter how much you make it “better”, bone stock numbers matching originality equals higher selling price, and lower output years are looked down upon.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by 11th Indian; 07-02-2020 at 01:03 PM.