View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before we leave '73, I wanna mention this. I've already posted that the '73-'77 A-body is not my favorite Pontiac body style. But, that has not kept Pontiac guys from racin 'em, in both Stock & SS.

Right now, the earliest '73 A-body Stocker I know of was raced by Mick Leiferman. Seems I remember somebody mentioning that he may have ran an SD455 in it. And, as we've discussed, NHRA allows the SD455 in a '73 GTO. If it did run an SD455, it was indeed a rare piece of Pontiac racing history.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...px?ENGINE=2080

But I can't verify that, one way or the other. In the only pic I have of the car, I can't make out the class designation, on the side. I can make out an SA. So, that means it was an auto trans Stocker. Can anybody tell the exact class, from the pic below ?

Anyhow, he could have run a 400, a D-port 455, or an SD455. If I have ever seen a pic of another '73 GTO Stocker, I am not aware of it. But, there probably were a few, in earlier years. If anybody has pics of any, please post 'em.

As mentioned, Mick held a nat record for 5 years running, & was RU at Indy 3 times straight. So, that would make us think that the '73 GTO probably ran pretty good, too. But I have no record of any performance results from the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maybe an SD455 GTO .jpg
Views:	135
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	530635