View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce
Default ProCharged Street Pontiac Engine

I'll try to keep this as short and to the point as possible. I'm looking for ideas, guidance and information on building a street engine around a centrifugal style supercharger, likely a ProCharger P1SC or D1SC.

The car is a 1969 Firebird. The goal is between 600-650 to the tires. This is a street car. While it may see a handful of 1/4 mile passes a year, 98% of the time it gets driven and beat on, on the street.

Reliable, comfortable, powerful is the idea here. I'd like to build my current 455 in a way that I can take advantage of about 7-8psi of boost and be a turn key, maintenance friendly, engine. It's already reliable and the car's comfort is basically where I want it, minus quieting down the exhaust a bit. I'm just missing the powerful part of the equation.

My current engine is:
+0.030 455
N Crank, factory rods with arp hardware, speed pro pistons
KRE as cast D ports, torker ii manifold toped with throttle body injection
232/238 112+4 hydraulic roller

With a nod towards keeping a sane budget, I'd like to use as much of what I have as possible to meet the goal. I know there will be recommendations for an aftermarket block. That really isn't in the budget and if it means tempering my expectations, I understand that.

I'm also doing this in stages, with the supercharger being the final pace. First stage of the build will be a 4l80E, followed by an engine refresh that will include the necessary rotating and block upgrades to handle the power. Third stage will be the supercharger and throttle body inject upgrade.

I'm targeting either a P1SC or D1SC to make the power and I'd like to keep boost to around 7-8psi. The D1 may be more realistic to make the power at the lower boost level. It would also provide some headroom later on if I desired it.

The engine will be run on pump E85 (typically closer to E70) and combined with the throttle body injection will double as the system intercooler.

Is this realistic based on my goals, does anybody see any glaring holes with the build? If possible I'd like to skip spending money on my heads or a change in cam, but realize that may be necessary. I realize the cam is probably not the best choice, so if that needs to go, I've budgeted in if needed.

Based on my research I'm going to be targeting 10:1 compression with that 7-8psi of boost added. This from my research should still be within a safety zone for use with E85. Please do check my math though

So what do you think? How would you build this engine? What should I be looking at for the block and the rotating assembly? I don't want to spin this thing to the moon, 5500-5700 where I currently shift the car is more than adequate here.

I appreciate the help and guidance!