View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 70 Lemans LS2 swap AC Help

I have a 70 Lemans Sport that I am currently working on in Italy. I have swapped a 2005 GTO LS2 and am working on the AC right now. I have the '05 GTO stuff including the condenser and lines etc... The Lemans has factory air. The project started about 8 years ago but was put on hold for various reasons so the work was done back then.

This is not a show car. I cleaned the Lemans evaporator and reinstalled with a new expansion valve for R134. I had hoped on being able to utilize components from both cars to make it all work. I have a new 4 Seasons R4 compressor (PN 58941) that was bought for a 92 Firebird and never used. I decided to mount it on the LS2 with the Holley bracket kit and not spend money on another compressor at the time.

The donor GTO had a Ron Davis radiator and I have it with the fans and evaporator. It all mounts nice clean on the radiator tabs but has issues as the AC lines are on the driver's side and they hit on the Lemans rad support so I would have to modify it some. I also have the Lemans stock condenser and parts.

So, I am at a crossroads now to figure out the best way to make all this work. The car is WAY under budget as I sold a bunch of the GTO stuff and the 400 from the Lemans. I have considered a Vintage Air kit and rip out all the stock stuff. The interior is out of the car right now, including the dash so it would be easy. Only issue is getting the stuff over here.

IF I decide to keep the stock layout and reinstall the old condenser with a new drier what about the POA? Am I fighting a losing battle using the old stuff on 134? I see issues like how much oil should be added. I can buy a new condenser if needed as I think the stock Lemans might not be up to 134. I can do the vacuum and charge as I have equipment. I can get lines made no problem.

Give some ideas and your thoughts on how to proceed.