View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
Just wondering if you all realize that CKLW is actually a Canadian station? Just my .02 cents worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EATDGAS View Post
It came in so clear in the eveings were I lived outside Cleveland in the late 60's and early 70's, OH YA CKLW THE MOTOR CITY is now stuck in my head!
Anyone in the Cleveland area remember WIXY 1260 SUPER RADIO ![/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B]
The U.S. was assigned K and W as the first digit of start their radio and TV call signs and Canada was assigned C and L. CKLW simply combined these four letters for their Canadian station which was across the Detroit River from the U.S.

I also grew up in Cleveland listening to CKLW from Detroit/Windsor. That's the way they said it on the air, Detroit followed by Windsor although it was a Windsor station. I also remember finding that "new" rock and roll station, WIXY 1260 when it came on the air in I think about 1965, listening on my "transistor radio". It had a 9 volt battery that you could stick on your tongue and get a mild shock. This was high tech stuff back then.

By the way, Cleveland used to have KYW as radio and TV stations. Some how swapped with I think Philly and it changed to WKYC and KYW moved there. So we had both "K" and "W" station call signs in the 60s.

Jim