View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 PM

Exclamation Rear Gear Whine

Has anyone out there had rear end whine in the 2004,06,06 Goats?

I had a 2004 but only put 1700 miles on it and traded for a new 05 last year. At about 4500 miles the rear end started whining like a rear set up with .020 lash instead of .008/.010. Car now has 8200. Pontiac has ordered me a new assembly.

Has anyone else had that prob. I run the car -but not enough to cause that.

I work at Rt. 66 Dragstrip in Joliet, IL. and we get lot of late model GTOs for Test and Tune nights-and those guys run the hell out of them and none report gear whine. One guy who has run his 2004 at the strip for two years at almost every Test & Tune also road races the same GTO. He just did 3 1/2 hrs. at 20 minute intervals at Road America
last week. And no problems.

We did have a GTO guy that broke his rear last year do to trying to leave too hard and had severe wheel hop and did not lift and ka-bong!!

As we all know-that independent suspension is not great for drags. BMR Fabrication (at my suggestion a year ago) now sells an air bag to put in rear spring that helps reduce wheel hop. Also my friends at SLP have a rear stabilizer and special bushings they claim help reduce the wheel hop.

I already have drag race cars so I use my 05 GT0 6 speed for a road car. I love it. Great car. Anyone who critisises the late GTO never drove one. I mean REALLY DROVE!! Perhaps you have seen my comments about the GTO critics in past Hemming's Muscle Machines "Backfire" column. Animal Jim Feurer See: www.animaljimracing.com

Last edited by Animal Jim; 05-11-2006 at 03:05 PM.