View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, it's really heavy, very doubtful one person could handle one. Two people would be adequate, three would be optimum.

Look at the 69 GP in my signature picture, I have taken GP hoods off and on many times during the 3 years I raced them.

Things I have found that help;

Put 4X4 blocks at the base of the windshield to keep it from accidentally sliding into the windshield.

If you have an engine crane or a chain fall hanging from above, hook it to the hood release bar to support the weight of the hood once you remove the last hood hinge bolts. Been forty years since I raced that car, but as I remember it has 3 hood bolts per side holding the hood to the hinges, it needs six bolts total to hold that heavy hood.

The only hood I ever took off that was heavier than the GP hood was a 76 Eldorado hood, that is the absolute heaviest hood I ever R&R ed.

Good luck, I've taken off a bunch of hoods by myself, I've even taken GP hoods off by myself, but used the mechanical aids like I posted (chain fall, 4X4 blocks to) hold the front of the hood up, and keep the rear edge from sliding into the windshield. Still nice to have at least a minimum of 2 people.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated