Thread: Halogen vs LED
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2021, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
I guess the next question is which conversion lenses/kits are closest in shape/convex and pattern as OEM without getting too expensive? Would like to match closely (if reasonable) and for fit in the buckets/rings.

Hella?
Cibie/Valeo?
RMS Lighting/Hector Vega?
IPCW?
Dapper?

Seems like most who responded have mentioned that the conversion kits they used are not as convex. Seems like Dapper is 2-4 times as expensive as the others for the features I would want.
I can only comment on the Cibie/Valeo.

The fit in the buckets/rings is perfect. This is where a lot of the cheap ebay import options fail. The cheap set I had would only sit at an angle that was noticeably “off” from center, as far as the pattern projection was concerned. The Cibie are spot on and their shape vs a sealed beam appears indistinguishable to me.

If you’re set on having the US DOT standard light pattern I think that’s what might turn you away. I believe they’re only available in E-Code. That being said, I can say that I’ll personally never run a standard DOT pattern on a vehicle if I can find an E-Code that will work. The idea that the US forces you into a light pattern that essentially blinds oncoming traffic and limits your view only seems fitting now a days.

The E-Code have a rather distinct horizontal line where the light falls off (as far as the projected pattern is concerned). This enables you to set this line just under where it would shine into oncoming traffic. The end result is just short of absolute daylight below that line (full left to right), and less light thrown into the eyes of oncoming drivers. It’s kind of a win-win. More light further and wider down the road, yet nobody pissed at you while they drive towards you.

FYI- the E-Codes are available in left and right hand drive, so you do have to be aware which lenses you choose. I have a page saved somewhere with part numbers I could dig up.

Sorry- not trying to “sell” the idea of these lights to you or anyone else… the fewer people that want them the more chance I have of finding more. I’m just giving my take on it. Actual first-hand experience/guidance was definitely lacking when I jumped into this idea years ago, and kinda still is.