View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Another update here. I picked up my car from the shop after having them install the new box. Typically this is something I’d tackle myself, but I’ve been sick and busy and just needed it done.

The shop did have a bit of trouble getting the power assist system bled properly. They ran into the same issue that njsteve ran into when they bled the system with the engine running. They were able to get that sorted however. So if you’re replacing one of these boxes, make sure the bleed procedure is done either with the engine off or just being cranked.

First impressions are that the box is much tighter than the original variable ratio box it replaced. Initially the box I would categorize as “stiff.” I have read at various places that this is somewhat normal for these boxes and that they will tend to wear in as miles are put on the car. The steering should remain firmer and weighted but the stiffness should reduce.

Although my drive home was mostly straight, I did notice some loosening of the steering feel. I will continue to put some miles on this and report back on that.

Now on to feel, handling etc. I was a bit worried that the 10:1 ratio was going to be too fast. Really though it’s quite tractable and easy to place in traffic and turning. With the added resistance of the modified valving it keeps the box from being twitchy. I absolutely wouldn’t want this fast if a ratio with the overboosted feel of the factory box.

On center feel is decent for a box, but there’s still no mistaking this for a rack and pinion setup. There’s only a very minor amount of dead space on center, which really does make it more predictable in traffic.

Turn in is much more immediate which is to be expected considering I’m comparing a fixed 10:1 ratio box vs a variable ratio box that is around 16:1 just off center. Over-all I like the fixed ratio better. The car just feels more direct as a result.

The weather is looking decent this weekend so I’d like to get out and put some corners under its belt so I really get to know it’s new behavior.