View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 04:44 PM

Default 1972 Grand Prix Automatic Park Issue?

Hello everybody this is my first post to any forum of any kind what so ever so I hope I did everything right.

Well me and my dad did a transmission fluid, filter, and gasket change on his 1972 Grand Prix. We backed it out of our driveway since its at a angle after we changed it all to check the trans fluid. Then the car would not go into park and it was very hard to shift gears From Reverse to Neutral and from Neutral to Drive and back etc. Then they key would not come out as if it was still in gear and not in park probably because it was not in park. The gear shifter indicator says it is in park but it is really in reverse. There is the linkage attached to the pan that we had to move to get the pan off but that is all we did. So now we have figured out that to get it to kinda work is move the steering column that attaches to the steering wheel in order to get it to go into park and let us take the key out. We are not sure how to adjust this linkage to make it right and make it stay right.
We know that if we move the linkage it will be like shifting. We just do not know how to adjust it to make park line up with park on the floor shifter.

Also it was letting us start the car not in park sometimes we turned it off in neutral ( we think it was ) to go try and adjust and then we were able to turn it back on later in either reverse or neutral not sure.

This is hard to explain and I will provide some pictures later but if anybody can help us we would really appreciate it. It was all fine before we did this and are not sure what to do.

Thank you !