View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That author's recollection doesn't seem to match possibilities and probabilities.

My 69 Spring Bird has a few stories from the original owner;
1year new on the road; He drove family from PA to FLa for Vacation and dropped the belt in GA. Replaced within 24 hours and i think he was back on the road..or

Somewhere in that time he had the H-Cam replaced with a 280* Moon Racing cut cam (and cam tower milled)
added the Clifford Header
added the Mallory Dual-Point
and drove the snot out of it...including a Daytona race track exposure (he claims 160 mph was reached, i dunno).

When i got it, the engine was hurt by a dropped Q-JET screw embedded in CYL #4.
So i pulled the head, dug the screw out of the Piston ( think i went through the Bottom-End i dunno), but put it back to gether and drove the craaap out of it because the CYL #4 healed up.

The dual-point just worked well.
The original dizzy wouldn't hold dwell past 4000 rpm (i checked)
I buot an HEI that just did the job very well.
So i drove that SPRINT hard with 7000-7500 rpm upshifts.

I could do that and succeed because i was young and dumb. It probably would have broke if i drive it that way being older and slightly more knowledgeble.

Critiques:
OHC-6 dizzys seemed to lack ability to hold dwell.
Q-JET Intake//exhaust manifold mating gasket would burn through and creat a major exhaust leak noise.
I did finally lose an exhaust lobe on the H-cam, but found an H-camo go right in and found NOS followers so that was easy (note my 1st PMD was a 1968 350 with collapsed Lifters so the OHC-6 valvetrain was better by decades).

Praises;
dead quiet idle; as if it was not running.
Dreadfully exciting pull starting at 4000-4500 rpm and not letting up even into the 7000s rpm.
Didn't leak oil like the V8 valvecovers did.
Q-JET dynamics on a 6-CYL re quite good.
MPG was decent engine did not labor.
easy to service.