View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys and/or Gals,
I tried the best I could to tell the major difference between the two pumps. YES, the old pump I took out DID NOT have the depth of vanes that the replacement has. Therefore, it can be concluded without much speculation two things. 1) A greater amount of surface area of impellor blades WILL move more water. 2) Absence of space between the vanes and the rear and front of the impellor WILL NOT allow as much cavitation. That is why I used George's suggestion to the maximum.
I first made sure the pump was pressed on the shaft to put the impellor as far into the front casting as it was supposed to be, and secondarily "tweaked" the divider to conform to the back side of the impellor configuration as possible. Any impellor on any water pump must operate in a specific area to be efficient, without any external or internal forces acting against its performance. Case in point from my boating days; any propeller on a boat motor that has a blade out of sync with the rest of them or air allowed to enter the slip stream of the water pump (that’s what a prop is) will create turbulence (inefficiency) in the water flow. Turbulence is defined as A: “wild, unruly, disorderly commotion” and B: “disorderly or tumultuous conduct” and C: “departure in a fluid from a smooth or streamline flow with accompanying sinuosity and eddies”.
It ain’t rocket science, it’s just so simple it works! That’s what’s called the KISS principle. “Keep it simple, stupid!”
What’s really mind-boggling is that I missed it 12 years ago! My only defense is that after changing countless water pumps before and never having such a problem is that most other pumps do not have a rear pump plate that affects the operation of it as ours does. Most go into a predetermined back spacing area that is not going to affect the pump operation, as is present in this design. In 37 years, this is the most aggravating thing I have found about the design of this engine, and it wasn’t Pontiac’s fault. It was the fault of the supplier of the replacement pump I happened to use AND mine! My GTO engine is RIGHT now and I hope only to help you folks have the same. Knowing that I can go down the road and get back to listening and feeling for the symphony between man and machine while not having to worry about that DAMN temperature gauge is priceless. My only worry in that department now is “am I running TOO COOL”.
There are at least 4000 other parts on that thing, let’s give them their fare share of time and attention. She has always taken care of me; I should do the same for her. In 124,800 miles, this girl has NEVER let me down. Sunday driving or “buddy, gonna shut you down” type.

Would I contribute to George’s retirement fund, Damn Straight!

Please, everyone have a good day!
Charles