View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Bart,

First, please excuse me as I have not read the entire thread, but wanted to offer a few points.

I am good friends with West Coast Cylinder Heads in Reseda, and as such, I have been hearing nothing but great things about these LS motors.

Well, earlier this year, I broke down and bought a Trailblazer SS with the LS2/4L70e.

As such, and being such a research junky, I have learned quite a bit, and gathered some things that may help you.

My SUV is about 4800 lbs with driver, has 4.10 gears, and the LS2. These factors are rough on the transmission, as you would probably guess. My Trailblazer brothers, some of which are going pretty fast (low 10's), are beating up their transmissions fairly often.

As such, there are a few names that they all swear by in the transmission circles, and I would be happy to PM you the names or posts that discuss them.

I purchased HP Tuners software, as I hope to play with this more at a later date, but also got a mail order tune from one of the Trailblazer SS (TBSS) guru's, which I have been quite happy with.
Basically, the ecu uses 2 credits on HP Tuners.

Since I have the HP Tuners, and 6 credits left, I am thinking about grabbing one of the new GM LS conversion kits and implementing that onto my '65 455 instead of Megasquirt, but that's another story.

Another point I have realized and been told is the LS2/LS3's really wake up with cam changes, but the LS3 are really sensitive to nuances in the cam...off just a bit and it really loses on the low end.

Anyways, if I can be of assistance, feel free to ask. I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge, but I've been reading countless hours, and being an engineer, I take it from a practical standpoint...not intersted in peak numbers as much as efficiencies while still maintaining driveability.

Good luck.