View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

The Blackbird was built December, 1967 as a Ram Air I, Turbo Hydramatic (column shift no console), Radio Push Button, Cluster-Rally Guages (No Tac), Glass Soft Ray - All Windows, Floor Mats front and back, F70X14 Nylon Red Line Tires (Steel Wheels Dog Dish Hub Caps).
The Ram Air I came with the hood and carb pans, chrome valve covers, flex fan, 3.90 posi rear end....
It was delieved to Stan Long Pontiac for Tony Kneiper, Parts Mgr. Tony got the Ram Air II heads as soon as PMD engineering released them to him. The Detroit Ponitac Racing Dealerships, ie, Royal, Packard and Stan Long always had the inside track on everyone else around the country. They could drive over to PMD engineering and get just about anything they wanted. These dealerships had friends on the inside that would just about do anything for them.This was real back door racing.......
If you look at some old pictures of Dick Jesse's (Ace Wilson's Performance Salesman)'65 and '66 GTO's you'll see it was sponsored by Stan Long and not Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac who employed him.
This is stuff you will not get from reading Pete's books or magazines, or even get from Jim Mattison's Pontiac Historic Services... On the other hand Jim Mattison told me that according to his build sheets nO Ram Air II cars where delivered to Royal Pontiac.
I did have a friend, Les Goodman, who's dad told Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac to build any engine his son wanted. This was after someone poured sugar in his tank and moth balls in his radiator that distroyed the original 400. Les went for a 428 Ram Air II for his '68 GTO.
I can't speak for Pete and Truman about their cars.

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-21-2010 at 03:48 PM.