View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 05:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Okay I think I am gonna get flamed. Most will say not an apples to apples.
I don't have a 041 but close enough. It is an H-O Racing HC-02/744HL with 231 /243 @.050 on a 113* LSA, .513 lift with 1.65 rockers. No Rhoads lifters. It's in a 400 with aluminum heads at 10.1:1 . Street n strip TH350 with 2800 stall torque converter, 3.07 gears. It does have a lumpy idle, but I've heard lumpier in other 'street' cars. In my 68 Firebird. Riding on the dreaded (hard) BFG T/A's. Idles at 750 rpm in drive with 11" vacuum. It is finicky to start, and won't idle until until it gets some heat into it. The power brakes require more effort when idling out of the driving otherwise they are just fine. From a standing start it will roast the tires through first and well into second because of the non sticky tires. From a rolling 20 mph start the car goes, but the tires break loose when the cam hits it's power band in the mid 3k and up rpms. While doing errands around town, at a stop light the cooolant temp will rise over 200* F, but comes down once I'm rolling again. I'm sure the higher stall torque converter makes it a bit more driveable. I enjoy driving it, others may not. Others may not even enjoy a ride along.
If you have any trepidations, it would be better to err on the cautious side. If the 041 cam & kit are new, I think it would be easier to sell than used, even if for a short amount of time.
The previous engine in that car was another 400, about 8.5 :1 cr with a cam similar to an 068, and stock converter. It would 'squawk' the tires; nowhere near a 'roasting'. It was also quite a bit fun driving it, but I like the new one a tad bit better.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post: