View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe hot rod

Here is another project I have going on it is a 31 pontiac 5 window coupe. I have wanted to do a pontiac street rod for 20+ years but could never find a suitable car, most of the cars i looked at were real basket cases. One of the problems with 20's 30's gm cars is that the body if framed in wood so what happens is the wood rots out and the body falls apart, the steel parts of the body are actually nailed to the wood body framework. I foind this car on the local craigs list the seller had bought it last fall off ebay and now didnt have the funds to build the car. It is originally from california and had been off the road since 1950 and was stored inside.Even with inside storage it still had the grill exposed so the nickle plating is gone and the steel slightly pitted, not realy a problem as I will be painting it body color. The rest of the car is basically rust free and complete.

My plans for the car are a traditional style hot rod no fenders chopped 4" and channeled aprox 2.5. front end will be a ford style transverse leafe dropped I beam rear sospension will be traditional ladder bars with coil overs. the frame will be boxed and have an x member installed ad the brake and clutch will be underfloor mounted. drivetrain will concist of a 1969 pontiac OHC-6 tripple webber side drafts with a clifford long tube headder.trans is a m-20 that will use a hydraulic throwout bearing and the rear is a 70's fbody. brakes will be disc on the front drum rear. wheels old style Torq thrust with redline tires

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT