View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
I have driven both Birds this week during the day and noticed I was the only vintage car in my few drives I did. People act like I am driving something from another planet. It is getting stranger every year driving a classic.
That's exactly right lol. Thirty years ago, driving around in my GTO, I would get the attention of mainly other gearheads. It was just another old car to most folks.
But flash forward to present day with the same car, and it's a completely different experience. Everyone notices now. People driving along side taking pictures and videos, giving thumbs up, starting conversations at redlights about their uncle that used to have a 442 just like it, asking to do burnouts or race etc. All of which is great, don't get me wrong, but it can get a little unnerving at times.
I just wish sometimes I could take a drive to enjoy the car and blend in with everyone else.

As far as cruising goes, I don't see it happening anymore like it used to be.
Rules and regulations slowly killed it back in the late 80's, early 90's. And kids of today simply have much more ways to occupy their time than we did, with all the online stuff, video games, facebook etc. Cruising would be boring to them.
Back in the early 80's, the local arcade was one of the cruise spots, which was the only means of video games. If you wanted to meet chicks you had to go out and find them, instead of sitting at home on your smart phone chatting with them on Tinder.

It's a different world now.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg