View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just looking at the frontage elevation pic with the conventional style double garage door, & not knowing what your largest vehicle is. Few things I noticed.

1)the most obvious, the garage door tracks are going to extend at least 7 feet into your shop. That leaves a little under 33 feet in front of the overhead door area to the back wall. With a 2 Post lift positioned too close to the garage door track area, it could be a challenge if you want to lift a tow vehicle with a minimal campers shell or a long wheelbase full size van

2) Against the back wall of your shop, lets say you have a 30" deep workbench, that would leave the workspace you desire between the workbench & the front of the vehicle along with the length of the vehicle. In a 2 Post work zone, personally I like a minimum of 4 feet in front of the bumper & a workbench.Thats actually a little on the tight side. I've been in smaller home shops where 4ft was the just the distance between the front bumper and the back wall & a long rolling tool cabinet (with a worktop) was able to be rolled out & to the side of the 2 Post bay. Also have a good friend who's been in a wheelchair for the last 8 years. In his shop a 4 ft wide swath would not be enough for his needs.

3) Straight shots are typically best to get vehicles in and on a lift. By putting the 2 Post lift on the rh side up closer to the front, any vehicle will have to be driven in the shop at an angle, straightened, then backed up. Or, it would have to be backed in at an angle, straightened up, & driven forward. Either way, a lot of floor space is used up in the vehicle positioning. Some of that needed floor space is in the far back, & may have who knows what stored on the floor & will have to be moved. The longer & heavier the vehicle the more "fun" the task. In my shop, the heavy line (2 Post) bay works great with a 190-210" long Pontiac traversing in/out even though it requires a slight jog to the right & then a straightening of the front wheels to the left. With my extended cab 8 ft bed diesel tow rig, it will be more of a challenge as that particular bay is slightly offset to the right from the south entry door/large bay that feeds the 2 Post bay.

4) Just looking at the few pics, & not knowing what storage features are planned (shelving all the way up to pallet rack), I'd most likely be inclined to install the 2 Post lift towards the back of the LH side of the shop. With adequate room in the front & at least 6 ft margin down the LH side. That would result in a lot of extra room for other vehicles, equipment & storage features,

5) Have witnessed a few times home shop owners positioning a lift too far towards the middle of a 30x40 or 30x50 floor area. Each time it restricted room for other vehicles one could get into the shop, ESP important in an emergency like an impending hail storm.

Love the mini-split feature. I really need a clean room in my shop which is air conditioned. Eventually that will be addressed.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 11-10-2019 at 12:03 AM.